Sciatica is an illness usually suffered throughout the sciatic nerve. It can be experienced in the buttocks, legs, and feet. The sting caused by sciatica is usually with a tingling sensation such as in pins and needles. It can also come with a numb feeling or a sense of muscle weakness in the legs.
In most cases, sciatica is felt in a single leg. There can be an electric blow along certain nerves. The ache can be mild, and it can also be severe. Even when you are doing minimal activities such as sneezing, coughing, going to the bathroom, and sitting, you may feel pain. Aside from the pain in the leg, the lumbar area can also suffer from it.
Some sciatica patients get better after only a couple of weeks, and the illness does not cause any permanent harm. However, when the soreness does not go away after some time, it would be best to get your doctor’s attention. When aside from the muscle pain, you will encounter incidents such as loss of bladder/ bowel control, you will have to get a medical consultation ASAP.
The following are some of the common sciatica symptoms:
• Lower back problems- You can experience this as a sign of sciatica. However, it could not be as severe as when you feel pain in the legs.
• Continuous soreness in either the left or right side of your buttocks. It usually happens on one side and rarely in both.
• One of the sciatica symptoms is the pain that starts in the lower part of the body which rises, passing through the areas that are concerned with the sciatic nerve.
• When you have sciatica, you can feel a worsening pain every time you stand up or sit. The pain can be minimal when you are lying down or walking.
• Sciatica frequently causes a sharp and intense pain rather than a monotonous one.
• As mentioned, a pins and needles type of pain can be felt with sciatica. You can also undergo a prickling feeling in the leg.
• Your legs and feet can also feel weak and numb.
• At frequent times, intense pain can be felt in one of your legs that will cause you some difficulty in walking and standing up.
• The location of pain can vary from case to case. In other patients, pain can also be felt in the foot and the toes.
The most usual sign of sciatica is pain. It is usually a shooting kind of pain that tends to commence in the lower back and goes down to the buttocks and the legs. Hip pain can also be felt from time to time.
When you are seated or are standing up for a long time, the pain can worsen. Changing your position from a low point to a high point can add to the pain. Bending can also inhibit pain. Movements during a sneeze, a cough, and a laugh are also causes of pain.
Sciatica usually involves one part of the bottom half of the body. It can start in the hip or buttocks area, but it can travel down the thighs, legs, feet and toes. It usually depends on which sciatic nerve is injured. The path that that nerve takes is usually connected to those parts of the body affected.
Others have controllable pains. However, others also have it worse. It can reach a point that it would be difficult to move even the slightest shift. Either way, the pain can still get worse.2016-08-14